The full Undrawing the Figure workshop recorded live in Brooklyn on February 26, 2022. Undrawing is an approach to drawing that leverages our innate sense of spatial geometry allowing us to capture what we see quickly and accurately. Students have called this approach "Transformative!" and "Game-changing".
Included in this are three videos (click names for individual downloads):
- Materials used in the workshop
- Short warm-up pose
- Discussion of Undrawing theory
- Demo of 3 kinds of marks
- Discussion of 4 typical obstacles to drawing quickly and accurately
- Demo of where to start on a drawing from life
- Demo of triangulation
- Several short practice poses
- Brief review of Part 1
- More demos on where to start a drawing from life
- Brief aside on priming paper for pastel
- 7 timed exercises to improve your focus
- 9 timed poses, with adjacent demos and and commentary, as well as prompts of what to look for in each pose
Note that all audio is overdubbed, so while the quality is very good, synchronization with lip movements is not.
All three parts of the Undrawing the Figure workshop.